Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Los Angeles' semi-dwarf?

Posted by hbwright z7bSC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 25, 06 at 12:53

I wanted something about the same height in a shade of pink for around my water fountain and I thought the Los Angeles canna I saw at the nursery might fit the bill. I'm worried now that I see it can get up to 6' and that is a bit higher then I wanted. I could move them and find something else but don't know what I could use. I guess I could also just let them go out the summer and then move when dormant also. Any experience with this semi-dwarf variety?

Also, I'm concerned that one of the bulbs wasn't good. The others I planted all had a hard bulb but this was mainly soft and rooty, not mushy or gooey so I don't think it was rotten but how can you tell whether or not they are bad? This was the only one that didn't have an eye on it at all. The others had 2-3 eyes.

Thank you from a canna newbie. The only other one I grow is Cleopatra (my dogs name).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Los Angeles' semi-dwarf?

• Posted by annz PNW (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 12:34

I would leave it this summer and just see how tall it gets. Is it in a container or the ground?
I find that many of my plants don't reach the 'stated' max height, but my weather is probably a factor since we have cool nights and a late spring.

If you're not happy with it, then you can replace it next year.
The link below list several plants and their heights. A short canna that I grew in N. Calif was Pink Sunburst. It was a slow grower and it never got above a couple of feet high.

My guess is the soft rhizome is on its way out..........

Here is a link that might be useful: Canna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here