Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the difference between Tropicana Black and Black-night?

Posted by Maria2013 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 13:10

Tropicana Black and Black Night look alike, are they the same plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the difference between Tropicana Black and Black-nigh

Maria,
C. Tropicanna Black is a different cultivar than C. Black Knight. They differ both in leaf color and bloom color. Yes, they are both considered dark leaf cultivars with red blooms but they are quite different when compared side by side. The photos may explain the difference. Kent
Canna Black Knight

o

This is the red orange bloom of Tropicanna Black. Note the much darker leaf color. Kent

o

This is a view of the leaf color of Tropicanna Black. Kent

o

Hi Kent,
I had Tropican Black one year and lost it to sudden frost while I had it out of the ground getting it ready to winterize
...I would have bought another one cause I loved it, but I found Black Night instead and when I googled it they were showing much darker leaves than your picture, so I thought I no longer needed the Tropicana Black

...I trust you over google so thank you very much for taking the time to reply :)

o

Maria et all,
Please keep in mind that all cultivars will display some changes in both leaf and bloom color as the individual leaf or bloom matures. Photos of different cultivars may appear somewhat different depending on many environmental variances. In the dark leaf cultivars we typically see much richer color in the new growth. In the industry, we often referred to a cultivar such as Black Knight as a bronze leaf because it matured to a combination of both the pale maroon (black) and green whereas Tropicanna Blacks foliage tends to hold its dark color more consistently. I think the above photos reflect the difference in bloom color. Kent

o

I understand....thank you, kent :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here