Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
not digging up cannas

Posted by onthebeach42 z6 nj (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 05 at 14:29

I was told by some local nurseries that I didn't need to dig up my Cannas for the winter. I left them in all winter and went to divide them the other day and they looked brown and a little mushy. I divided and replanted them anyway. Do you think I'm out of luck.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: not digging up cannas

How mushy were they? Did your ground freeze this past Winter? Canna rhizomes don't like to be frozen and it will usually kill 'em. Did you heavily mulch the areas where the cannas were before the cold weather temps hit last fall?

Something tells me that they might be goners, but the only way you can really tell is if they do or don't start to come back up with the onset of warm weather and when the soil starts to warm up. DON'T overwater them in the areas that you transplanted them into. In fact, let Mom Nature do your watering for you, at least for now. If there's a chance that they'll survive, you don't want to have them rotting on you. The soil is still moist and cold, even tho the soil surface may look dry.

Jenna

o

In your zone you should definitely dig those puppies up for the winter.

o

Sorry to say it but you were given some very bad advice. Cannas MIGHT survive in the ground in zone 6 if they are planted against a foundation and/or heavily mulched and/or you have an unusually mild winter.

o

I have some coming up from last year. (not an experiment, just got lazy last fall) I didn't mulch and just pulled the tops off earlier this spring. The were planted a foot or less from the foundation on the south side. ?

o

dug them uplast week and set them in the sun to dry a bit-pretty mushy. I'm going to put them back in the ground for compost or maybe I'll get a surprise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here