Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pots or in the ground?

Posted by indyrose z5 IN (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 14:37

I'm a newbie to cannas. I bought a wide variety from Horn this spring, all different sizes and colors. I started them in the greenhouse early, so now they are up about 10 inches in their pots. Should I transfer them to the flower beds, or just leave them in the pots? Some are in large pots, but others will need to be moved to either the beds or even larger pots.

Do they "like" being potted? Perform better? Or is it just easier to get ready for winter if they are in pots?

Also, are there any varieties that can tolerate partial shade?

Indyrose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pots or in the ground?

leave some in pots, plant some in ground. they will perform well either way.
probably a little easier when have to dig up rhizomes for winter if in a pot.
cannas love full sun and lots of water and fertilizer. will probably not bloom if in shade.
fern

o
RE: Pots or in the ground?

I've taken the same variety in a pot and the ground and it definitely grew taller and fuller in the ground. Pots are easier to dig the tuber from in the fall.

You don't want to put them outside if there's still a chance of frost, which I suspect there is where you live. So either tide them over in their tiny pots (OK as long as you keep them watered), or uppot them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here