Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cannas didn't flower last year

Posted by karcul 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 14:56

Hi, I grew some cannas my mother passed along to me last year and unfortunately they did not flower for me. They grew tall with lots of leaves but just no flowers. Any one know why? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cannas didn't flower last year

Hi,

typically it would be from lack of sun. Most cannas need full, all day sun to bloom well, lots of water, and at least average to good garden soil.

How much sun did they get?

Boca Joe

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 11:17

I also find that if they are planted too deeply, they don't perform well.

So.... lots of sun, good moisture, not too deep.

o

Believe it or not, I've seen rows of them here growing in dappled sun locations or areas with high shade and they have bloomed just fine. Mine bloomed last year with what might be considered part sun (~4 - 6 hours).

I think some other non-blooming reasons could also be timing of when they were planted and/or sprouted and whether the growing season was conducive for them to get to blooming stage before a frost, including enough water once they get going. We had below normal temperatures most of May last year and mine sat doing little or nothing on top that entire month, only starting to grow around June/July and finally blooming in August. Also I noticed that some offsets might be fairly immature and may not bloom the first year.

o

I have had the same problem with one of my cannas I got early last year. It has multiplied but never bloomed. Others that I received later did fine for me. I will keep waiting. Patience isn't my best vurture.

o

I grow cannas in several partially-shaded borders in my garden, and they flower well enough. I found that some shop-bought rhizomes wouldn't flower in their first year, because they were just too small and needed to bulk up before flowering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here