Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna from seed - percent success rate?

Posted by kelli08 6B (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 15:59

Hi!

About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna lily seeds in two flats with 144 cells total. 2 - 3 seeds per cell (somewhere between 288 and 432 seeds) - indoors.

As of today, I've only gotten 59 healthy plants (about 2 - 3" tall) total. Today, I dug through the cells that didn't produce.

1. Some were rooting but 'stuck', in that they were still too hard to produce more than the root.
2. Some were still rock hard and needed to be scored again.
3. Some were rotten or moldy (those were thrown out).

I'd baked the soil prior to using; soaked the seeds in peroxide, and mixed pure cinnamon into the soil.

Is this still a decent outcome? Is there anything I can do to ensure the ones that have made it will continue to thrive?

About 8 years ago, I started a canna garden with only 6 seeds. I don't know why I'm disappointed in this outcome... 59 is better than 6/6.

Thank you for any responses!

Kell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna from seed - percent success rate?

Canna seeds absolutely need scarification. You just sand the seed until the colour goes from black to a shade of brown. Once you soak them they should only take a few days to root and subsequent growth is amazingly fast

o

Canadianplant - Thank you for responding.

I definitely scored them. First, I put them in a jar lined with sand paper & shook it like crazy. Then, I put them between pliers and made a good notch with a serrated knife from top to bottom. Soaked them for a couple days in wet paper towels before planting.

o

This is the third year I start Canna seeds and it is not going as smooth as the previous years...out of 24 seeds I've only got 5 plants and 1 of them died shortly after germination

...the previous years most seeds made it into healthy plants

I didn't do anything different so perhaps the seeds weren't healthy to begin with

o

Maria - Have you been finding any fungus? I've been finding some in mine, although I followed all the protocol to keep this from happening. Those have no growth at all.

My new dilemma is how to safely transplant the 63 survivors into larger containers.

o

Hi kelli08,

I didn't see any fungus on mine, not even the white mold that I have seen in the passed (which did not harm the seed)

Here you can see the procedure I follow, and 3 of last year seedlings in bloom
http://dragonscave.yuku.com/topic/1274/Growing-Canna-from-Seed#.U0uAZZGa8co
I use small pots (from when I bought annuals) and plant one single seed in each one....makes it easier to re pot the plants.

"63 survivors" WoW!!
I can talk cannas all day long, too bad this forum has gone so quiet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here