Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna Order Arrived, But Too Sick To Plant?

Posted by parad0x Z7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 5, 06 at 18:06

Just caught whatever virus my 11 mo baby has...and my Brent and Becky's order arrived with my 5 Red King Humbert's. I thought I chose later April delivery, but they arrived today already. I'm too sick to go outside and plant them, (not to mention wife and I had a week-end trip to visit my mom out of town this week-end even if I feel better by then) So how should I store them? Basement? Start in pots indoors til I can transplant outside? I'd really prefer to hold them somehow til I can put outside.

Thanks!
Todd In Philly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna Order Arrived, But Too Sick To Plant?

• Posted by annz PNW (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 7, 06 at 12:38

How did they arrive..........dormant, sprouting, roots growing?

After digging up Cannas and before shipping or replanting, I keep them in moist wood shavings.

If yours are still dormant, just place them in a cool, dark place.

o

I would actually get them potted and started. Our springs are sometimes too long and chilly (but falls are long and warm) and if we can give them a headstart now, they will have a better chance at blooming earlier in summer when finally planted out (been there done that). This is assuming you have some peat or potting soil and some small pots to stick them in. Even sticking them in some slightly moist peat in a zip lock and placing in a warm spot can help get them sprouted while you wait.

Otherwise if you would rather store and try to keep them asleep, annz's advice is right on.

o

If you plan to plant them in a week or so, they should be fine just stored in the house in the box they arrived in. I often get large orders and have had them in boxes in the house for a month. Due to the size of my orders, it sometimes takes me that long just get them all planted. They may sprout a little in the box and that's fine. Just watch for decay and bugs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here