Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's eating the leaves?

Posted by kyndac z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 28, 06 at 18:37

Something chomped off the top of these leaves. The tops of the leaves were left lying in the pot. Doesn't look like any part of the leaf was eaten, just bitten off. This is my first time to try to grow a stuttghart and I am hoping this is a one time event. I'm so sorry for the huge picture--for some reason I can't get photobucket to reduce the size of my pictures these days. Thanks, Kynda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's eating the leaves?

Kynda,

The picture is actually very small. I can see what is in it.

Joe

o

Isn't that strange? I kept reducing it in size because it's huge on my screen. Thanks for your response anyway.

o

Looks like squirrel damage to me. My banana plants look just like that!

o

Well, my beautiful Stuttghart was coming along, the older leaves were still growing even with the ends bitten off, and new leaves were coming up. Looking great. And tonight, when I went out to admire it, I found that something--I assume that same *#*#*#* squirrel--dug up the tuber and ATE THE WHOLE THING!!! I'm just sick.

o

I have found something that keeps the squirrels away from my bananas and cannas. I had gone to Home Depot and purchased a $16 spray bottle of "Deer Away" or something like that. It worked, but one bottle for me only goes around once, and if it rains, too bad. So I researched the ingredients and came up with a concoction of my own that works.

o

Thanks for the suggestion. I have some "deer vik" that I used last year to battle the rabbits (also a problem in my yard). I'll give that a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here