Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Canna Stalk Was Folded Over - Will It Die?

Posted by Eric55 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 05 at 21:07

Hi,
My canna stalk got bent at a 90 degree angle when I was transplanting it to a larger pot. It did not snap but there is a definite "fold" on one half of the stalk. I gently straightened the stalk and tied it to a support. The stalk is approximately 1 inch in diameter and 1 foot tall with some big, new leaves.
As it grows taller will the stalk repair itself or will it need to stay tied to the stick all summer?
Any information you can share is appreciated!
Thanks, Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Canna Stalk Was Folded Over - Will It Die?

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 10, 05 at 2:37

My sense is that it will always be weak, and will need to be staked. Hopefully, another shoot will come up from the root.

o

Is it better for me to cut it off now rather than just watch it limp along all summer ? There are a few other stalks coming out of the root system, so there will still be leaves making food.
I'm wondering if I should just "cut my losses" now because the stalk is small and young (a foot tall).

o

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 10, 05 at 20:31

That's what I would do. .....especially now that you mentioned there are other shoots coming up. Those other shoots will sport new flowers for you.

Go for it...Get out the machete!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here