Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve421

browning outer leaf edges

steve421
18 years ago

I have seen a message posted earlier on where the leaf tips look burnt but the leaves are green and healthy...My cannas that I have in a pot in the greenhouse are doing this also...daytime temps are 90-100 and lows now are in the upper 60's but have been at 50's a week ago...it actually got down to 40's but are sheltered from the wind....what are the best temps high and low to grow cannas..and what should I do about those burnt looking leaves...will they recover or should I just remove them

Thanks

Steve

Comments (4)

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

Steve, the brown edges could be several things. They may have gotten frost bitten. They may be crying out for a drink. Or they may be too hot or sun-damaged in the greenhouse. Also, if they're in a pot, they may be too crowded.

I don't know how much of the leaves are damaged, but it's really up to you what you want to do. Anywhere that's brown will stay brown. They won't turn green again. So if they're ugly to you, then cut them off. New leaves will grow quickly and should be fine.

It's probably safe for you to plant them outside now if your temps are like ours here in Ark., zone 7a (I'm near Memphis). I leave mine in ground all winter. I have about 60 varieties and they survive well in well-drained soil. I would say yours definitely need to come out of the greenhouse, at least during the day. If there's no breeze and not enough water, they could be getting overheated during the day.

• steve421
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have a misting system that I have running now 3x a day for a minute each time..the soil is definitally not dry...not saturated either...I closed the vent up today it got 99 and I belive that they grew a bit....I am taking them out this weekend...I need to clean GH and sterilize...I am planning on growing some from seeds soon...I know its hard but have to give it a try...They may be overgrowded I have 2 or 3 shooting up in each container...now the tricky question...if I take them up now and divide them will they flower this year...or shoul I wait till early spring to do the dividing...I appreciate your help I am a newbie and respect the knowledge and experience of others..

Thanks
    Steve

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

Yes, they should flower this season. They grow quickly and will probably start flowering in June or so.

When you get ready to start your seeds, nick them til you see a little white, then soak them for a day or two before planting. They're actually not hard to grow from seed if you nick the outer shell of the seed first so it can absorb water.

• steve421
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks butterfly chaser I will do that..I cant wait till theyh bloom..

Steve