Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_virginian

Milorganite for Cannas and super sized growth.

the_virginian
15 years ago

Use this stuff on your cannas and they will grow to sizes of unimaginable size. I have had the best results with cannas in the ground so far. Take a look on my website and tell me what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panama John's Tropical Zone

Comments (7)

• fishoifc
    15 years ago

how do I get this stuff?

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Home Depot and Lowes have it in the lawn care section for fertilizers. It huns about $10 for a 36lb bag.

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Anyone have a picture of this Milorganite? I went to Lowes here in canada, and they've never heard of it :-(

I need it for my cannas, if you are right about it making cannas grow tall

• RafaelNJ
    9 years ago

I dont know about this stuff. I used it on both my bananas and cannas. The bananas are putting out leaves very well but getting no height at all. Got them at about a foot tall and are still the same size. The Cannas are also slowly putting out leaves but didnt really grow much either and have an awful color, losing their dark colors and look almost bleached out with green spots. I have the tropicanna cannas in the darker colors.

• grullablue
    9 years ago

I, too, have GREAT luck with Milorganite for my cannas, EEs, bananas and brugmanisas. I swear by the stuff! I also water daily,

• foreverlad
    8 years ago

Milorganite isn't a very effective means of fertilizing Canna...or other plants, for that matter. Milorganite has an NPK ratio of 5-2-0. What does that mean?

Scoop up 1 pound of Milorganite in a cup. 5% of that cup is Nitrogen. 2% is Phosphate. That's a very low dose, especially for Canna. We're talking about 1.8 lbs of Nitrogen and .72 lb of Phosphate per 36 lb bag, and absolutely ZERO Potassium for fruiting plants.

I can't speak directly for Canna, but a 4 ft tall banana plant can consume upwards of 1 lb of Nitrogen per month during the growing season. You'd be pouring 20lbs of Milorganite on each banana plant every single month, just to maximize it's Nitrogen consumption.

I've used Milorganite before, and I like it, but not as a fertilizer. I've used it as a soil amendment here in Florida to add some form of substance to our substandard soil. Within a month or two of adding Milorganite, I'd find earthworms in beds that were severely lacking signs of life previously. For that, Milorganite earned my praises. But in terms of a worthwhile fertilizer, it's prohibitively expensive and not worth the effort.

Mike

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

When I have a need for Milorganite, I use what I lovingly refer to as fake Milorganite: GreenEdge. GreenEdge is made in Gainesville, Florida, is slow-release and formula is 6-2-0.

In Jacksonville, a 30-lb bag of Milorganite runs around $11.99 or $12.99. A 40-lb bag of GreenEdge runs the same price. It is sold at Home Depot, Ace, and Amazon.

I've been using it for about two years now as an amendment and supplemental grass fertilization (hate those fertilizers that start with a 36 nitrogen number!)

Carol in Jacksonville

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!