Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companion for cannas

Posted by quebec_lab_border z3QC (ricklete@globetrotter.qc.ca) on
Sun, May 28, 06 at 2:58

I have a canna planted in a 3 gallon container. What can I plant in the container with the canna to cover the lower surface. Would the container look rather bare if the canna is planted alone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: companion for cannas

I have some in a 3 gallon container, they never look bare as new shoots are always coming up. If yours are sparser, perhaps something trailing like a creeping jenny would look nice and add visual interest.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, May 28, 06 at 18:57

I was wondering about some lobelia.

o

the canna will crowd out whatever you plant with it...possibly put a low grower in a pot in front of the cannas ??

o

• Posted by mush Nia. Ont. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 21:30

I planted Bakoppa (sp)beneath one of mine. It has filled the surface of the soil around the Canna and is hanging over the edge. It looks great. In another I have Blackie, a Sweet Potatoe Vine. It has done very well also spilling out over the edge of the pot, and the colour looks great with the green Canna leaves above.
Just choose something that has the same water needs and will spill out of the pot instead of growing tall.

o

Companion planting is more than just plants that look together. It is also about plants that support and look after each other.

Aphids detest Lavandula, and so lavender's make a great companion planting for any plants subject to aphid prevedation, like Canna.

Canna has no scent, and so plants that are heavily scented, such as roses, thymes and lavender, make great companion plants on a scent basis.

I think that you can get the idea from those examples.

Regards,
Malcolm

o

I am late summer is almost over. I grow my cannas for the leaves. So most of my pots have the Cannas with interesting leaves.

Tropicanna, has (Dahlia Bishop)with dark leaves and red flower, and coleus all around the bottom.

Bengal Tiger, has coleus in front and because BT is a short Canna I put Glads in the back that bloom yellow and Red.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here