Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna leaves holes

Posted by skhaire 7b (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 9:09

Hi,
Planted a few bulbs which sprouted but leaves have holes. I dont see any holes. What could be causing these holes and how to treat these?
I so love cannas and I dont want to lose them .Attached are some pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna leaves holes

I assume it's slug or snail damage.

I don't use pine needle mulch, and I'm not sure how likely you are to have slugs or snails with that mulch, or what you'd use to deter slugs and snails when using pine needles.

Most of the things used to fight slugs which I know about would fall down into the pine needles -- but then again, for all I know, the slugs/snails are doing the damage before the leaves emerge from the pine needles.... (Look at that still-rolled leaf: does it look like something's been chewing on it already?) You might try clearing the pine needles out of the way to see what's happening down below. Any slime trails or other signs of them on the ground?

If you don't get a better answer here, ask on the Pests & Diseases forum.

o

Thanks for replying. I did check for snails and slugs but found none last evening.

o

Could be leaf roller caterpillars. That's what's usually eating mine. Since the flowers attract hummingbirds, I wouldn't use chemicals on these plants. I patrol for those caterpillars and remove them when spotted. Webbing holding leaves closed is a sure sign there's one inside there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here