Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna ID.

Posted by lovesnowie 9b (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 9:26

Hi, does anybody know what the name of this canna is and if its edible variety? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna ID.

This forum's gone kind of stale, maybe because they're not blooming yet, most places? You may want to ask in name-that-plant forum if you are still seeking this ID.

o

Thank you for your reply. I will try the forum you suggested :)

o

It is a little difficult to give a positive id to your canna because it shows symptoms of a canna virus. I think the cultivar is likely City of Portland. You ask if it is edible; the canna rhizomes are edible but in the last 30 years I have yet to hear of anyone giving serious recommendations to doing so the second time. In Southeast Asia they do feed cannas to pigs and starch is produced in some limited areas. They have also been used to help reduce contaminants from sewage lagoon waste water. There are numerous uses for cannas but not typically a plant for human consumption.

Kent

o

Thanks for the reply Kent! I thought that canna bush was pretty healthy! This is my first year of growing canna and second year of gardening so i wouldn't be able to tell if it gets a virus. Well ill keep it for now and see how it goes 👍👍 :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here