Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

can a canna recover from a rotten root?

Laurel Zito
13 years ago

I had this baggie canna. I think it's Tropicana. I got it at Lowe's, because it was growing in the bag. It was in the bag with some other cannas that did not sprout or grow as they were all rotten. But, when I planted it the soil was less then ideal. I may have used too much amendment, as I was preparing a new bedding area. Then we had a lot of excessive rain.

It was not doing all that well, and I did not expect much, but yesterday I dug it up to isolate in a panic over the virus. I noticed the root looked very rotten. I have no idea how this plant can even be alive. I replanted it in a pot with quality soil and now I have it in the house as a house plant. I wanted to keep it away from my other plants. I plan to move it to a sunny location outside during the day.

My question is can the root generate healthy tissue or should I have tried to cut away the dead parts? Unfortunately, I have to wait for it to grow more healthy tissue, because I could not see any healthy tissue. The whole thing looked rotten. I should have taken a picture. Never buy baggie cannas. This a lesson to learn. My baggie hostas all failed, but my baggie lily of the valley really were fanatic, so I was hopeful.

I should have taken a photo of the root. This is sort of like a sciece experiemnt. I have learned a lot. The El Nino (cold and wet) could have contributed to the ill healthy of the canna. However, it did have the rot when I planed it. I just assumed it had recovered somewhat by now. I am in San Francisco by the way.

Comments (3)