Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cannas from Karchesky's

Posted by leah29 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 10:06

I'm looking for a little advice about cannas. I've bought some red dwarf cannas from a couple different sources that have turned out to be diseased. I have some president red cannas in the ground now that are currently showing signs of the virus. I was thinking of digging them up and getting some from Karchesky's because I read that they were a good source for healthy cannas. My 2 questions are: will the virus be transmitted through the soil if I put them in the same place as the ones I currently have growing? (after I dig up the diseased ones of course) and secondly, has anyone bought from Karchesky's and had problems with the virus? Any advice would be appreciated as I'm still new to cannas but have quickly fallen for them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cannas from Karchesky's

I may be wrong but there is a chance that if you put canna's in the same spot that you dug up ones with a virus that you will pass it onto the new ones. I know with other plant virus's as in hosta's you do not want to plant in the same spot right away.

Stpehanie

o

The best route to prevent virus is to get rid of all virused cannas and only grow healthy ones. Too many times healthy cannas are planted with the unhealthy ones. In they end, they are wind up diseased.

o

You can a one healthy canna and plant it in a another place or pot to avoid virus from spreading throughout your plant. Remove all that is affected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here