Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Robert Kent vs. Robert Kemp--same or different?

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 10:09

I purchased Canna 'Robert Kent' from Brent & Becky's bulbs. The rhizomes were already sprouting when I received them and the plants are already up and growing vigorously. I've been looking for more information about this canna and keep running across 'Robert Kemp'. Are these two different names for the same canna, or are they two different cultivars with similar names? The descriptions sound similar but the photo B&B shows for 'Robert Kent' seems a bit different from the ones I've seen for 'Robert Kemp'.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Robert Kent' at Brent & Becky's Bulbs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Robert Kent vs. Robert Kemp--same or different?

Jonnie,
Sorry for the slow response to a very interesting question. Many of us are familiar with the specie C. compacta which has been distributed in the United States under the cultivar name of C. Robert Kemp. As you suggested, Brent and Beckys canna offering of C. Robert Kent looks very similar but does not appear to mach Robert Kemp.
After my email to B & B, Brent called me and gave me their source along with the information that it came from a Dutch collector overseas and the collector named this canna Robert Kent. Is there a direct relationship between these two cultivars remains unknown for now but I am assuming that C. Robert Kent is likely a hybrid cultivar. Therefore you have possibly received a fairly rare new hybrid and the name should remain as received.
I hope to grow a few of both cultivars for comparison and make a positive confirmation this season. If this canna is a new hybrid you may have a real steal. Time will hopefully tell.
Regards,
Kent Kelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here