Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peatpod

Plan of attack to harden off .. help!!

peatpod
18 years ago

Well, Im a bit insane when it comes to my cannas .. I have over 100 pots of rhizomes started in my basement under lights. Well, I normally dont start them early in the house .. and never even thought about having to lug them in and out at night. The nights here are still a bit too chilly to leave them out exposed to the elements .. but I am running out of room at an alarming rate. Does anyone have any suggestions how to harden these guys off without the lugging??? I cant beleive I was this foolish. I had planned on putting up some shade cloth and just leaving them ... but that was when the weather was a bit nicer. Any help would be great

Laura

Comments (7)

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    18 years ago

how are your nighttime temps? Get em out asap.

Mine have been outside hardening off for almost a month! They can take more cold than you think. Too many people baby these things unnecessarily.

The night temps here over the past month have ranged from mid 30's to 50's - no ill effects. what they don;t like is COLD and WET/RAINY weather (more than one day). That is why I store my cannas in 2.5 gallon zip lock bags- one bag from November to planting out in May! And if we get a rainy spell, I just zip em almost closed! Ihave 100% overwinteringa and starting up rate. No transplanting to pots, no pot lugging- easy!

Boca Joe

• peatpod
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The rain has been the #1 reason I have yet to get them outdoors .. the night temps have ranged from the low 30s the past week or so with wet dismal days .. but the temps are to climb this week and the sun is going to make a much needed appearance. I dont normally baby these guys .. but I want to increase my growing season .. plus many had awakened early.

Thanks so much
    Laura

• jroot
    18 years ago

Laura, I do believe we are in a similar situation. I have had my cannas outdoors now for several weeks, but in the cold evenings I lug them back to the garage, along with my 90+ dahlia, and nearly 30 brugmansia plants. It takes about 25 minutes of lugging in the morning, and another 25 minutes in the evening. The neighbours are starting to mimic me though. They look out their windows, and if "John has his plants out", they take theirs out. What a hoot!

When we get several days of COLD in a row, I take the cannas back down to the lights where it is warmer. I see new shoots up every day now.

Talk about a pampered life ! They had better perform well, or I swear they'll be compost this fall.

• watergal
    18 years ago

Boca Joe, I'm confused. You store the tubers in ziplocs - but without soil? Do you let them sprout in the bag and then plant directly outdoors?? I'm definitely in favor of skipping the potting up step if I can! Please give details.

• peatpod
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jroot .. I do have a garage however .. its filled to the brim with everything and anything!! My cannas are all under lights and many have several feet of growth!! If the warm weather keeps taking its sweet time arriving they will be blooming indoors soon!!! In order for me to lug them out I would have to lug them from the computer room and basement .. up the stairs and out the recroom door .. and that would take forever!! But I guess it will have to be done :o( I have only just begun my "relationship" with brugs but those will be easy to lug .. I only have 6 so for now .. I think I will be ok .. for now .. I can see many more in my future :o) Next year the grow lights will be set up in the recroom .. right beside the patio door.

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    18 years ago

Watergal--

Yes when I dig in the fall, I use a machete to cut out "blocks" of canna rhizomes. I shave off the excess dirt under the rhizomes and along the side. The machete works great fior this.

I buy 2.5 gallon ziplock bags at TARGET and store the cannas like that in the bags over the winter in cold storage (our luandry room- about 55-60 all winter) .

I do NOT wash off or clean the rhizomes otherwise.

IN the spring, they go outside and grow in the bags until they go in the pots !

Boca Joe

• watergal
    18 years ago

Boca Joe, thanks! Sounds like a great plan annd I'll try it this fall!

Peatpod, I feel your pain! My grow lights are upstairs in a spare bedroom. I have a full flight of stairs to lug all the big potted tropicals (bananas, hibiscus, allamanda, passiflora, and waterlilies this year) outdoors. I really need to organize a space swap with my husband, who has "custody" of the basement.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH