Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leafrollers

Posted by whitecap2 8b (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 11:31

Having perused the results of a search here on leafrollers, I'm left with the impression that orthene / acephate is the most effective control, followed by BT. I've found a Bonide product, Systemic Insect Control, a concentrate containing 9.4% acephate. Is this what I need? The only leafroller listed in the product use guide is "oblique banded leafrollers," which may not be the ones I need to be concerned about. The guide also doesn't list canna as an appropriate plant for use of the product.

Anyone have any idea how long it takes this stuff to become effective, or whether overtreatment can damage a plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leafrollers

Acephate has been the most effective liquid "systemic" control of the lesser canna leaf roller I have found and used for many years. I have tried many other products. Once the chemical dries on the foliage, it is absorbed and distributed to the growing plant. I prefer to spray late in the day when bees and other beneficial insects are less active. Do not apply near fish ponds etc. Stay out of the damp foliage until it dries. Effectiveness duration depends on growth rate and temperature. In most areas, reapplication may be needed every two to three weeks.
Because the lesser canna leaf roller is not exposed directly to a typical dust or spray, a systemic control is the most useful. BT may work fine for the greater canna leaf roller because if openly feeds on exposed leaves but it does require frequent application. It seldom reaches the lesser leaf roller.
I have never seen phytotoxic injury from acephate on cannas. I am not familiar with the product brand listed so please read and follow instructions carefully.

Kent

o

"Lesser canna leaf roller," that's the one, thanks.

o

Kent, do you add a surfactant to your spray? Maybe a mild dish soap? How much? Thanks, Lou

o

I have always used a surfactant (wetting agent) with acephate. Of course I have/had access to commercial surfactants but you are correct in suggesting a mild soap. As I recall, others have use liquid Ivory soap. I think you might try about a tablespoon to a gallon. There should be a slight sudsing action but not like washing dishes!! Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here