Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancey_gw

The best thing to kill leaf rollers?

Dancey
19 years ago

This is the first year my cannas have leaf rollers. Ugh! What is the best thing to spray on them for this pest?

Dancey

Comments (11)

• Sandi_W
    19 years ago

Dancey...I just started getting leaf rollers last year. I was told to use 7Dust. I started using it too late last year, but this year it seems to have worked. Sandi

• melvalena
    19 years ago

Will that harm the hummingbirds?

• Dancey
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Sandi! I'll try that. My cannas seem to be looking better right now. I've trimmed off some of the ugly stems that the pests chewed on. I've got some blooming now too.

• GlennTX
    19 years ago

Bt will kill leaf rollers, but is harmless to people and hummingbirds.

Bacillus thuringensis won't damage your immune system like pesticides will.

• benroy
    19 years ago

How bad is your problem? I have a lot of cannas and I too get the leaf rollers, I live in East Texas, anyway I just watch for the rolled up leaves and just press those together and squash them in the leaf. If you check every few days you usually catch the damage when the worms are small and the damage is not too noticeable. Otherwise I used to use the sevin dust, but I am trying to get away from the chemicals. It seems like I just have to spray so much to control all the different pests that it's easier just to keep them under control without the chemicals.

• melvalena
    19 years ago

So far, this year it's not bad at all but my cannas are barely up. (I dug them last fall to move them, then got a late start on planting them out).

so just squashing the rolled up leaves does it? Who woulda guessed it would be that simple!

Thanks!

• primulaveris
    19 years ago

I open the leaves, collect the leave rollers and throw them in the pond. The fish love them. I have about 100 Robert Kemps. They were full of leaf rollers last year. I got rid of all the debris in fall (trash, don't compost) and have seen none so far. But I have a handfull small yellow cannas and I found ONE as of today.

• StacyInAustin_z8b
    19 years ago

I read somewhere to do this. I've sprayed Neem oil down the tightly rolled center of the canna (where the bugs hide, perhaps?), and this worked!

• LoraxDave
    19 years ago

I have a fairly nasty problem with them this year. About 9 days ago, I meticulously went through all of my Cannas, but off rolled or damaged foliage and bagged it in a large garbage bag and sealed it well to make sure no moths escaped. I also sprayed emerging Canna shoots with a Bt solution. Now I will watch more closely for signs of new infestation. I am hoping that I at least beat them back to tolerable levels. This Fall, I will definitely be more dliligent about cleaning up old foliage and also will probably try using Bt early in the season to try to kill off any newly hatched caterpillars.

• idixierose
    19 years ago

I know disyston is nasty stuff, but I use it on my cannas as soon as I see new growth in the spring and again when I cut them back in mid-summer. Generally it controls leaf rollers for the entire season, but sometimes the leaf rollers invade anyway.

For now, I'm going to cut the cannas to the ground, clean up and burn the old stalks.

Next season I'm going to try Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 disease & pest control.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm