Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
None of my canna's came back!!! Is it too early?

Posted by Meadow_Lark 7 (NE Alabama) (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 05 at 12:38

I am in NE Alabama (zone 7 - Huntsville)

Last summer I bought 3 different kinds of canna, all in beautiful shades of pink. (These were my first ones.)

Not a single one came back this year! I was told that if mulched - they would do fine. I went ahead and dug them up last night, and they are not viable.

I am so disappointed. AThey grew great all last summer. They were so pretty.

I moved here from Florida - an canna grew in the ditches along side the road. They were all in red/orange/yellow tones. When I saw the pink ones in a catalog - I fell in love with them.

I see canna in gardens all around this area - but they are all reds and yellows.

Are pinks not hardy?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I wanna canna!!!!

Meadow Lark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
follow-up from meadow-lark

Next time I'll preview my message before I post, since you can't spell check in this thing!

LOL...

Meadow Lark

o
RE: None of my canna's came back!!! Is it too early?

I think all cannas have about the same hardiness. Maybe they rotted?? Was it cool and damp this winter??

o

In Indiana you have to dig the bulbs up every year. At least that is what I do and have never had any problems.

o

Meadow Lark, I have quite a few up but my pink beauty has just started coming up the last couple of weeks and is growing slow. Still give it some time and see what happens. I thought I'd lost those and looked and there they finally were.

Nancy

o

Ooooo I hope they come back. They were the prettiest shades of pink. They were especially pretty at dusk...

I'll wait a little while longer, but all of the cannas I see around town are already well on their way...

Meadow Lark

o

Even here they'll survive all winter in ground near the house foundation, but they'll take FOREVER to grow. Much better to lift them and start them indoors a couple months ahead of time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here