Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Cannas

Posted by westiesam Z4 (My Page) on
Mon, May 8, 06 at 14:19

I want to plant a Canna in each of two containers for the front of my house along with some geraniums and nicotiana. I can buy a Canna plant that is already about 12" tall for about $8.95. Or I can buy some bulbs at Lowe's for alot less. Will the bulbs (or rhisomes) grow quickly or would it be better to get the already growing plants? Thanks for a silly question from a newbie.
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Cannas

Cannas grow pretty quickly (and they get very tall if you fertilize) but if you are like me and can't stand to wait for bloom you better go w/the 12" one, make sure you bring them in and store them when it gets below freezing or they will die. (the rhisomes)

o

Since you are located in a Z4. Buy the cannas already growing you'll put yourself at least a month ahead of schedule since your growing season is so short.

Fertilize'em with a lower nitogen, I use 8-20-20 slow release pellets. The will multiply fast, make sure you container i slarge enough to handle the growth. I would not use anything smaller than a 12" pot. I used an 8" clay pot last year, I always meant to re-pot but never did, anyhow the cannas busted the pot into pieces later in the fall. Have fun.

Joe

o

I use horse manure (I've got plenty of that!) I don't have to worry about how much fertilizer i'm adding that way (it don't burn) and the results are still excellent!

o

Thanks to all for the information -- I'll think I'll go with the "already growing" plants. I am planting them in 24" diameter containers - so I hope they do well. I've always thought they were such a beautiful plant. If it works, I'll post pictures later.
Joe - what type of fertilizer would that be? I normally use Miracle Grow Plant food, but it doesn't have those same numbers.
Sharon

o

A local comapny here makes the stuff I use. Miracle Gro works fine. It just has a little higher Nitrogen level than I like. I think they have a slow release pellet that is 10-10-10. The higher nitrogen doesnt really burn the canna, it elongates them. I like my cannas with plush foliage. I used composted manure this spring in some containers and it is doing wonders to those plants. I am already having blooms!

Joe

o

Also, just a word of advice from one canna newbie to another... :) please read the excellent information on identifying the canna virsuses so you don't take home an infected one.

o

I have cannas that I got from my neighbor a year ago, and they grow very fast, a canna that my neighbor has is suppose to get 8' tall and it got nearly 12' tall, she put it in a warmer spot in her yard with lots of afternoon sun, and she did not give it any plant food. I got plants that were growing that I got from lowes, and I planted some of the bulbs in the ground and they bloomed at the same time. here in zone 6b my neighbor leaves one of hers in the ground in a protected spot all year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here