Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westiesam

New to Cannas

westiesam
17 years ago

I want to plant a Canna in each of two containers for the front of my house along with some geraniums and nicotiana. I can buy a Canna plant that is already about 12" tall for about $8.95. Or I can buy some bulbs at Lowe's for alot less. Will the bulbs (or rhisomes) grow quickly or would it be better to get the already growing plants? Thanks for a silly question from a newbie.

Sharon

Comments (7)

• micke
    17 years ago

Cannas grow pretty quickly (and they get very tall if you fertilize) but if you are like me and can't stand to wait for bloom you better go w/the 12" one, make sure you bring them in and store them when it gets below freezing or they will die. (the rhisomes)

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Since you are located in a Z4. Buy the cannas already growing you'll put yourself at least a month ahead of schedule since your growing season is so short.

Fertilize'em with a lower nitogen, I use 8-20-20 slow release pellets. The will multiply fast, make sure you container i slarge enough to handle the growth. I would not use anything smaller than a 12" pot. I used an 8" clay pot last year, I always meant to re-pot but never did, anyhow the cannas busted the pot into pieces later in the fall. Have fun.

Joe

• micke
    17 years ago

I use horse manure (I've got plenty of that!) I don't have to worry about how much fertilizer i'm adding that way (it don't burn) and the results are still excellent!

• westiesam
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to all for the information -- I'll think I'll go with the "already growing" plants. I am planting them in 24" diameter containers - so I hope they do well. I've always thought they were such a beautiful plant. If it works, I'll post pictures later.
    Joe - what type of fertilizer would that be? I normally use Miracle Grow Plant food, but it doesn't have those same numbers.
    Sharon

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

A local comapny here makes the stuff I use. Miracle Gro works fine. It just has a little higher Nitrogen level than I like. I think they have a slow release pellet that is 10-10-10. The higher nitrogen doesnt really burn the canna, it elongates them. I like my cannas with plush foliage. I used composted manure this spring in some containers and it is doing wonders to those plants. I am already having blooms!

Joe

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Also, just a word of advice from one canna newbie to another... :) please read the excellent information on identifying the canna virsuses so you don't take home an infected one.

• lee466
    17 years ago

I have cannas that I got from my neighbor a year ago, and they grow very fast, a canna that my neighbor has is suppose to get 8' tall and it got nearly 12' tall, she put it in a warmer spot in her yard with lots of afternoon sun, and she did not give it any plant food. I got plants that were growing that I got from lowes, and I planted some of the bulbs in the ground and they bloomed at the same time. here in zone 6b my neighbor leaves one of hers in the ground in a protected spot all year.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor