Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna newbie

Posted by sharlabel 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 08 at 14:37

I just purchased some canna bulbs at Home Dopey along with some daylily bulbs. The daylily bulbs seem fine but I'm questioning the health of the canna's. They just seem kind of soft and like nothing. Could someone tell me what healthy ones should be like? I don't want to wait too long before replacing them. I'm not familiar with alot of bulbs (tubers)?
Thanks, Sharla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna newbie

I don't think they should be soft. they should be firm. They may be rotted. I would bring em back. I have been using Canna's for yrs. and the only soft ones are the rotted ones. good luck

o

Cindjo2,
Thanks. Don't want to waste any time here in zone 6 if you know what I mean! They certainly didn't seem right to me. I'll be more careful choosing next time and make sure I have some solid material in that pkg.
Sharla

o

They should be firm to the touch. You know how to judge a potato? Same for cannas. If it's mucky, don't buy it.

Course on the other hand, last year I bought a box of marginal President. They where dark and none too firm. But in the end, seems like every one of them grew.

If it's mostly firm, it should be ok. Just don't over-water them. let them dry out a bit between watering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here