Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you like Dwarf Canna?

Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 14:38

Initially I was not interested in Cannas because we used have only the tall and small flowered varieties available in our area, but last year I saw some very dwarf varieties upto 7"-8" and blooming...!!! I bought one (July '09), but on my way home i knocked down the whole flower stalk. I repotted the small plant into a very large cement container, it remained green untill we shifted to our new home (Aug '09), as the pot was very large we were not able to empty and bring it to the new home, we left it in its place. I immediately got busy in my exams and completely forgot the small plant. In Feb '10 when me and my father were cleaning our old place as routine, I suddenly remembered and dig the big pot for the tubers and found one completely and one nearly dried tuber.

I planted the one which seemed to me alive in my bed for summer annuals (Feb '10) and was rewarded with beautiful blooms in mid of May '10 (temperatures exceeding 100* F with low humidity):

23-05-10

Total height of this Canna is 7 inches and the other bloom in the pic is Haemanthus multiflorus "Football lily". I admit that I have become a fan for the hardiness and beauty of these Dwarf Canna varieties and looking to bring more colors in future.

Regards,

Izhar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you like Dwarf Canna?

Cannas are addicting!!! They are beautiful and add such a tropical flair that makes any yard stand out. I have yet to try the dwarf varieties. Thanks to you I might have to add some eventually. And that football lily of yours is amazing!!! WOW!

o

I really like all cannas. I love the tall ones especially, but for people who want something just a bit shorter, dwarf cannas are perfect. I think its really nice that they bloom at such a small height. Some of the flowers come in really nice colors like white or deep red as well as yellows, pinks, and everything in between.
I agree, You cant just buy one canna because there are so many different types and they are all really nice. If you have nice sun and are willing to give them an occasional soaking, they look really amazing from about june or july all the way till frost.
Good luck!

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 10 at 0:46

Thank You for the compliments..!! :)

The time I a writing this reply post, there is already another node poking out of soil near its base, I wouldn't mind if they get a bit more tall. As i live in a temperate zone, there are no frost at all and the lowest temperatures remains around 50 F at nights only and Cannas bloom all year round in our region.

Regards,

Izhar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here