Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintered cannas

Posted by telamin z6 OH (My Page) on
Tue, May 9, 06 at 15:17

Greetings

Last fall I dragged my pots in the garage and allowed my cannas to dry out over the course of two months. I finally digged, divided and stored them in baggies with perlite. I had four pots of Canna Wyoming and one Canna Musofolia. I carried the baggies into the basement, which gets some light from windows on the western exposure. As a result, my canna musofolia grew all winter, without any water... and not just shoots, I have big leaves that are a pale green color. My Canna Wyoming grew little shoots, but they dried out and for the most part look really craggly right now.

It still gets pretty cold in central Ohio at night, so I'm waiting until June 1, to pot my cannas and bring them outside. When I do repot them, I need to know if I can just cut all the little shoots and leaves off beforehand or will that slow the regrowth process.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintered cannas

• Posted by annz PNW (My Page) on
    Tue, May 16, 06 at 11:31

Since the growth appears weak, I would just cut it off when you plant them and allow them to start over.
If the growth is a couple of inches, then I'd leave them alone and just pot them up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here