Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hgalindo_gw

Canna Crisis

hgalindo
18 years ago

Okay, maybe that's extreme, but twice in the last week I have pulled into my driveway to notice that the cannas living in my front garden ditch are dropping their flower spikes.

When it happens, the flower spike is there with a couple of blooms but it's just dangling off the stem, such that a good rain would knock it off. Both spikes that have dropped have had 15 blooms starting, with 2-3 open. There is some dirty looking black stuff at the breaking point, as well as holes in some of the unopened flowers. Here's a close up of the black/brown stuff:

{{gwi:532084}}

And here's one of the whole spikes that dropped:

{{gwi:532085}}

I figured after two of these occurrances in a previously healthy group of plants, I better ask the experts what the heck is going on. Looks like some kind of critter, but I need to know what to treat for.

Also, anybody know what variety this is? Coral blooms with a spotted yellow throat and a thin edge of yellow. You can kinda see from the pictures.

Thanks bunches for any help.

Heather

Comment (1)

• hgalindo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Never mind. I found the #(*%&@() critters. Lesser Canna Leafrollers. Of course, since they're in a ditch, I can't spray them, so I just whacked them down. The active infestation is in my trash can. I'll cut the remaining stalks down this weekend when I have more time. *sigh* They were so gorgeous, too.