Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna advice please...

Posted by greekmiss z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 05 at 17:24

I have a flower bed that is so full of Canna that I think it would be best to take some out and possible even transplant some of it to a different area.
When is the best time to take the tubers out...right now they are just sprouting their leaves and are anywhere from just growing to about 6" high?
If I do take the tubers out, what is the best way to store them? Let's say I wanted to keep them over the winter and then re-plant them the next spring?

Thanks in advance! ...and I appreciate your time and help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna advice please...

The very worst time to move any plant is when it's actively growing.

If they were mine, & I really needed to thin them right away, I would either prepare the other bed & move some of them there, taking extra care as with any new transplant, or trade them or give them away.

If I were planning to over-winter them out of the ground, I would definitely wait until they finish this year's cycle & go dormant in the autumn/winter.

Best luck, & enjoy!

sylvia

o

Do you want to trade some?
Email me if you do, I have some other colors or?
Sunny

o

I'm afraid that they'd be really stressed by mailing them to Texas right now:
it's hot here!

You might post on the Exchanges portion of Cannas, & also on the Plant Exchange Forum.
Be sure to include what kind they are, how many you have, etc.

Garden clubs often have plant swaps one or two times a year:
You might check in your area.

If you simply must thin them, & trading is burdensome, & the new bed isn't ready, just put some of them in large pots.

Put them in the shade for a week or so while they adjust, & keep them well-watered & sheltered from the wind.

Best luck, & enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here