Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to cannas- how to plant?

Posted by standbyq13 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 9, 06 at 17:29

Hello! I am creating gardens for the first time in the yard of my first house. I have been very fortunate to receive many plants from friends and family to get me kick started. Last night my husband brought me 2 plastic grocery bags filled with cannas from someone at work. Some are already sprouting! I have never grown cannas and don't even know how to plant them! Are they like my iris, rhizomes at ground level, or do I bury them like roots? The area where I am planting them is not ready and I would like to try the lasagna method to ammend the soil. (It has been tilled, we did the entire yard, but not ammended and it's clay.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I hope to get them in the ground this weekend!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to cannas- how to plant?

• Posted by annz PNW (My Page) on
    Sat, May 13, 06 at 0:53

Well, it's kinda slow here so I guess I'll try and answer your question.

I've found cannas are not too picky if the soil is halfway decent but they do appreciate lots of water and some fertilizer.
I've grown them in containers with a good compost potting soil and I've thrown them in the ground with no ammendments at all. My soil is clay and each spring I try to work in a layer of compost where I'm planting, but I didn't have time to do anything to the soil when I planted the ones in the ground. They still grew so well over the past 2 years I had to divide and remove several rhizomes this spring.

I plant them 4 inches deep, but in zone8 I leave them in the ground year round. I belive others in colder areas plant them around 2" which would make digging them up each fall much easier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here