Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oklahoma Hailstorm and Cannas

Posted by johnburns Oklahoma (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 17:55

Yesterday we had a hailstorm in Oklahoma City which literlly shredded my cannas which were about 10 inches high. I have applice Osmocote 14-14-14 (slow release) to try to help them, but my question is, should I trim the shredded leaves, cut the cannas back at the ground, or just leave them alone and allow them to recuperate? Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oklahoma Hailstorm and Cannas

John,
I would remove all the shredded leaves and depending on how crippled each plant may be I would likely remove all foliage within about 4 inches of the soil line. You typically will see new growth within a few days at this time of the year. The damaged areas (if not removed) opens the door for bacterial or fungal infection. I am sure your plants will quickly recover.
Good luck,
Kent

o
RE: Oklahoma Hailstorm and Cannas

Kent, thanks for the reply. I removed the shredded leaves which were not salvageable and the foliage within 4 inches of the soil line as you suggest. They already look better - just the removal of the "dead" foliage did wonders for the way they look. Hopefully, with some decent Summer weather now, they will be as pretty as they were last Summer (my first year with cannas). Appreciate your advice. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here