Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprout_wi

Cannas in Pots

sprout_wi
15 years ago

Hi - If you grow Cannas in pots, would you mind sharing your photos? Do you plant them with a companion plant? I want to do a big tropical pot on my deck, with a Stuttgart at the center. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments (14)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I grow all of my cannas in pots but do them alone since they are so vigorous.

• lisa2004
    15 years ago

I had lots of Canna on my deck last year. It looked great. When it starts to get hot out they fill up the pot VERY quickly so don't grow anything with them. I had about 10 pots with different varieties in each, so I don't know much about mixing them...I could be wrong, but I think that Stuttgart requires more shade than most other varieties. If that's the case, you may not want it in the same pot with the others.

• rokal
    15 years ago

Stuttgardt grows best for me as an aquatic plant (i.e. several inches BELOW water). For best results, use a container without drainage holes and do not use a soiless-mix. Water should be over the rhizomes at all times. I've had good results last year with garden soil and/or straight pea gravel.

Thank you marquest :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuttgart Canna??

• cinlo
    15 years ago

lisa2004, what sized pots did you use? I just bought a Tropicana Gold on Lowe's clearance for $5. I'm not sure I'm going to get an area ready in our yard this year, so might need to keep it on our patio. Thanks!

• nucci60
    15 years ago

sprout,Stuttgardt is a tough one but the most beautiful of all foliage in cannas.The white parts burn like crazy for most folks.I am going to try the method rokal stated. They are so cool!

• Grancru
    15 years ago

Last summer
    {{gwi:528148}}
    {{gwi:528146}}

• nucci60
    15 years ago

beautiful photos! Have you tried Muas basjoo banana?

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Mine are in pots as well as in the ground.

{{gwi:532261}}

{{gwi:487558}}

Musa basjoo

{{gwi:532262}}

• makk2
    15 years ago

I tried planting two to a pot, (14 inch diameter). One would grow well, the other was stunted, so I transplanted them into the ground. They're doing great.

• tess_2008
    15 years ago

I couldn't have said it any better than Grancru said in the pictures of that beautiful deck. I was going to suggest alternating pots of different height canna, and filling in with different height pots, or raised pots, etc. There is lots of ways to make things appear to be together without sharing the pot, but the picture says it best. The deck even has the hanging plants to take up another dimension. I was wondering, grancru, if you've ever thought about randomly staggering the heights of the baskets (some even higher than you have)? That may (or may not) be interesting to see, since you have the height available. Watering would be problematic, though. Like the way you echoed color with your baskets vs. pots. Very nice!

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Look at how the ones in my black pot have grown since the last pics

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/canna/msg060948289576.html

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Mine are clustered around my hot tub as well. They are too tropical looking to fit in well with the rest of my garden.

• watergal
    15 years ago

grancru, love your deck! It is so awesomely tropical!

I did a pot this year with 'Orange Punch' - a little obscure but usually available at Plant Delights. It is a dwarf, gets about 3 feet high. I put ornamental sweet potato underneath, and they are doing great. I also put a couple of impatiens in there, but the vine is covering them over, even though I keep whacking it back! Next time I'll skip the impatiens.

Years ago I did pots of 'Orange Punch' by itself. They got quite full of just cannas by the fall. My pot this year with the vine is in part shade, so it's not growing as fast.

I would think a larger canna would crowd out any other plants quite fast.

• catsndogs9
    15 years ago

i am looking for dwarf cannas (no taller than 2 ft.) Most places only offer 3 ft or taller - can anyone help?

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions