Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna Australia

Posted by miclino 5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 19:26

Planted some canna australia bulbs purchased from Brenand Becky's with over a foot of foliage. It is in full sun, well drained with hot afternoon sun. I grew regular cannas in that location last year.

After two weeks, the leaves look like they are greening a little bit. In addition, some of the smaller outer leaves have shrivelled and dried up. The rest of the foliage however is erect and not droopy. I was watering daily initially but have eased off due to concern of overwatering. Now its every third day although they sprinklers hit it 3 times a week as well. The soil was layered with compost before planting.

Any ideas? I can post pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna Australia

Here are the pics

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By miclino at 2012-05-27

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By miclino at 2012-05-27

o

Sorry, I am slow to respond to your post. Your C. Australia appears fine to me. The lower primary leafs often die back. Hopefully by now the night temperatures have become more attractive to normal growth and you are seeing normal growth. As temperatures increase I think your red leaf color will become more pronounced.
If you suspect other problems, update with questions and photos. Kent

o

My "Australia" plants have been a consistent deep purple in leaf since they emerged in May, but maybe our early heat wave had something to do with it (we've had both abnormally cool and warmer than normal temps since then).

As to your watering, there's no way to tell what soil conditions are like under that mulch without checking.

o

You have them planted rather close. These are 6' plants. Check them at Horns at cannas.net.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here