Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canna growing

Posted by teengardener1888 zone 5a new york (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 19:53

I an a thirteen year old gardener
new to growing the beautiful canna flower. can someone givs me advice. I been growing flowers since I was three and has always been good at it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canna growing

I'm betting once you start with them, you will fall in love like I have! I only have a generic green one, Australia, and this year bought Pink Sunburst and Pretoria (Bengal Tiger). I also have a Cleopatra, that's just beautiful. I just planted the cleo and pretoria in the ground this afternoon. They spread like mad...or mine did anyway, and they are just so pretty, I'd love them even if they didn't flower! But they flower off and on throughout the season.

Cannas like sun, and a lot of water....but they have to be dug up in the winter....I let the frost kill the foliage last year, then dug up the tubers. I just ended up leaving the tubers in a pail....and around March they started growing for me...so I potted a few up. Now they're outside.

I really think they are a great plant, I love them, you always know a bed of cannas when you see it!

Angie

o
RE: canna growing

Cannas are one of the easiest plants to grow. Don't stint on the water and give them plenty of sun if you want blooms - semi-shade will just give you gorgeous foliage).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here