Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall Canna

Posted by michigan_bamboo 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 20:10

I was wondering what the tallest growing Cannas are.

Thank You

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall Canna

Omega,,, banana canna/ muso folia. The two big ones I know.

I'm growing a bunch of banana canna this year, but their size is dependent on growing contions. Mine get mostly shade, so I'll be happy to get 8ft out of them.

But under ideal condition they can get up to 14 ft.

o

I'm gowing some of the musafolia for the first time too.

o

I've grown them for the last 10 years (Canna musafolia) and if you give them optimum conditions (raised beds, full sun, lots of water, soil with good humus, and fertlizer) they can get up to 9-10 feet even in zone 4 if you have an Indian summer.

o

Waiting to see what my musafolia do this year--started from seed last year. I have one that survived and is already almost two feet tall out in my raised bed(my raised beds are 100% compost--so may take off majorly)--will let you know in the fall just how tall they make it.

o

Okay, I'll bite. Why a raised bed. I have been growing canna for years and Musifolia for about three. What are the advantages of a raised bed in full sun?

o

What I meant by raised beds is based on the idea that most of my cannas are located in large circular mounds of dirt throughout my lawn that are about one to two feet higher than the lawn. The extra exposure to the sun tends to heat up the soil better than flat soil. The more heat and sun you give cannas, including the soil they grow in, the faster they grow. They do so well I end up selling about 800 rhizomes each year to a local nursery.

o

Wow! You certainly do some magical things with your palms and cannas.

o

• Posted by royy Z7 NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 22:58

I am looking for some of these taller varieties. I need a bunch of rhizomes, but don't have a lot of cash. Does any one know of a place I can get some of these taller varieties at a lower price?

Roy

o

I do raised beds because the "soil" if that's what you'd call it here is really nasty clay---gets hard as a rock in the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here