Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna Phasion or Australia?

Posted by gracesmith_03 none (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 20:24

Hey, all! I was thinking of ordering one of these canna...which do you think is more attractive? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna Phasion or Australia?

My response may be a bit late, but both cultivars are very useful in the proper setting. C. 'Phasion' aka C. 'Tropicanna' is likely more widely grown and the variegated foliage might be considered more interesting than the red blooming C. 'Australia'. The latter will typically grow taller but is less vigorous but more floriferous.
Finding healthy plants is important so be aware of that issue.

Kent

o
RE: Canna Tropicanna or Australia?

• Posted by sgyn Cambridge 5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 12:13

Also important to note is that C.Tropicanna had a second hybrid introduction in North America. It is available with either an orange bloom (original) or the later hybrid with more pinkish bloom colour.

o

Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 16:16

I have just found a relatively new variant of Phasion or Tropicanna and picked it up. It is called Tropicanna Black.
For more information and photos please refer to:
www.tesselaar.com

They are branding a Tropicanna Gold also, which unless the
hybridization PPAF is different I would think is aka. Pretoria aka. Bengal Tiger. Any thoughts from forum members?

o

For those who may be somewhat confused or misled concerning the Tesselaar canna releases:
There are at present 3 canna cultivars that have been in the North American market for a few years.
C. Tropicanna sometimes listed as C. Phasion
C. Tropicanna Gold
C. Tropicanna Black
C. Pretoria aka C. Bengal Tiger "is not" the same cultivar as C. Tropicanna Gold. I have posted and commented on this forum in the past and posted photos showing the distinct differences. If you wish to revisit those discussions do a search for Tropicanna Gold in the search box at the bottom of the page. Please keep in mind that I am not saying that unwitting sellers have not sold the more available C. Pretoria as a substitute for C. Tropicanna Gold.

Regards,
Kent

o

Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 21:24

Hi Kent this is all good information.
I will review C. Pretoria and C.Phasion Gold.
I hope this will shed some light on the subtle differences.
Thx.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here