Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering my Cannas that are in Pots???

Posted by theartist z8 La (mcgraw-art@cox.net) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 21:21

Hi all,
I have a few Cannas in Pots this year and they are doing beautifully!!! Some are Bengal Tiger, Black Knight, The President and a few others......my question is...I am in South Louisiana, zone 8 and I know my Cannas in the ground will overwinter just fine but these that I have in the large pots, will they be OK????? -OR- should I pull the rhizome -OR- move the pot in the garage or what??? Your thoughts and knowledge on this is greatly appreciated. My thanks, Angela

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering my Cannas that are in Pots???

I pull the rhizome's after our last frost kill's them. I've had great luck doing that, besides they need to be split. I'm amazed the amount of rhizome's that grow over the season.
Christine

o

Everytime that I pull cannas out for the season I am amazed at there root system which takes up the entire pot. I dont think they would do well if you left them in there pots without repotting them and cutting the roots back so they have room to grow again. To be on the safe side its probably best that you either plant them in the ground, or take them in during the winter after the first hard frost has killed them down.

Good luck!
-Alex

o

I am in North Mississippi and the ones I left potted last year all rotted, so I would not advise leaving them in the pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here