Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lideedee

New to cannas -- please help!!

lideedee
14 years ago

Hi.

I have a neighbor who gave me some plants (at least 6) from her garden. She did not know what they were. She asks people for cuttings etc when she sees a plant that she likes. I showed these to a friend and she thinks that they are cannas. I had planned to plant them by a South facing window, but since reading about them, I am not so sure. She told me that it had huge yellow flowers, but not I am wondering if she meant that they were tall when I thought she meant large. So here are my questions...

Can I find out what variety I have just by looking at the leaves?

Do I need to plant these ASAP? Is there any way I can let them just "die" and replant them next Spring? I am not sure where I want them now. I threw them all in a pot until I could get them planted. There is dirt around them, but they are not planted properly.

Would they look better in a cluster in the middle of my yard or planted against the side of my house (in an area without a window)?

I'd hate for these plants to die. I'd like to try them, but since they might be very tall, I am just not sure where I want to put them.

The leaves are beautiful -- green. Hers were really lovely. The ones she gave me are smaller because they were planted in a shady spot.

Comments (2)