Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cannas in the ground in Northwest GA?

Posted by organic_gardenhag 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 0:14

I brought my cannas here in from IL in pots overwintered in the garage. I have since lost them for whatever reason. I can not break my practice of putting them in pots. Having never planted them in the ground. Don't know what I need to do to prepare the ground and how to treat them. They seem to thrive. On neglect out there in the red clay, and I do not want to kill them with kindness, or give them the wrong environment and encourage disease or pests. Just give me a tutorial, that would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cannas in the ground in Northwest GA?

Who has their cannas in the ground here in NW GA, please raise your hand? I want to get these babies in the ground, and don't want to learn from experience.

o
RE: Cannas in the ground in Northwest GA?

Well I am not growing cannas in NW GA, but growing cannas in your location is not much different than growing in IL. You will have a longer growing season and MAY choose to leave the cannas in the ground providing they are well mulched and not in a soggy soil setting (winter).
Cannas grow quite well in clay soil but these soils can present some challenges. Heavy clay soils are difficult or nearly impossible to work when wet; hard as a brick when dry. The clay tends to run together and become sealed and clump preventing water penetrating in the summer; often stay wet and tight in the winter. In other words, many clay soils are very low in organic matter. You may consider removing the top 6 to 8 inches of your soil and replacing it with a decent loam or something you would use in containers. You may simply mix plenty of organic compost into you canna bed. At the very least I would suggest that you lightly mulch the bed to aid in holding soil moisture.
Fertilizer needs are always determined by available nutrients of your specific location but you can always start with a light application of balanced N-P-K or what worked in your containers.
You will very likely have to deal with one particular pest of the southern canna grower; the lesser canna leafroller. I can only recommend the use of a good systemic insecticide if you expect to grow reasonably clean plants; otherwise your plants will suffer the results. Best,

Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here