Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Start Canna's by Seed Now?

Posted by eigdeh z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 1:46

I have read recommendations to start canna seeds in January or February by filing the shell, soaking them, and planting them under lights. I read that if this is done one should have flowers the first season.

Obviously it is too late for this, but I was wondering if it is possible to start seeds now and if so would I be ahead of the game for next year to have flowers? Would the Rhizomes form before frost here in NJ and if so would they flower sooner than starting from seeds in January?

Thanks!

Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Start Canna's by Seed Now?

Ken,

Your concerns are well taken in regard to your growing area. If you lived in the Gulf States or the Southwest, you could likely succeed with decent results. Starting canna seeds in your growing area at this time would be possible but risky. The biggest problem is the ability of the plant to mature to a size that would develop a large rhizome system capable of sustaining itself over the long winter months.
If it is of interest, I have canna seedlings blooming at this time and they germinated in mid March. Seeds started early and grown indoors in a warm sunny location will often bloom as rapidly as field planted rhizomes. The unknown is the speed of getting good, rapid germination of the seed and the somewhat slower development of the seed rhizome growth verses the conventional vegetative produced rhizome.

Kent

o

Thanks Kent!

I guess I will wait till the mid winter to plant seeds as it seems to be the better option. I had someone ready to send me seeds that he gathered from last years crop. I will ask him to send me some from this years plants and start them indoors in March.

Ken

o

If you're going to keep them in a pot, I think you'll be ok as long as you take the pot in for the winter. :)

o

I think is best to keep them in a pot now anyway so they get the right nutrients and stay nice and warm so you can easily sow them now and let them grow and just bring them in when frost comes. Then you can keep them growing during the winter and int he spring they will be ready to go and they might even flower in early spring if your lucky!

o

Thanks guys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here