Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

growing in water

garyfla_gw
9 years ago

Hi
I used to grow cannas extensively but due to leaf rollers
virus mostly switched to heliconia
Had one in a pot that has limped along for years seldom flowering and often going dormant
Two years ago i repotted with clay and top soil and placed in standing water up to the top,thinking it would provide foliage until water plants mature .
It responded by growing almost rampantly it flowered then branched and flowered again is well over 6 feet tall and has 3 new sprouts. as well as seed pods.
the virus is no longer a problem and no leaf rollers .
Curious as to why??lol Might add that it is in fairly dense shade except in mid winter.I'm in 10 florida though the last two years have been above 40 min. Have no idea as to the type but supposedly a dwarf with yellow flowers and orange spots
Thinking of trying cannas again and using this method
I know some types are aquatic but exclusively??
Thanks gary

Comments (5)

• Maria2013
    9 years ago

Hi Gary, I don't have the answer to your question, I just wanted to say that I have been using Cannas in my pond for some time, in my experience, the same canna has given me different results, some years has done well and others not so good...I wish I knew why but I'm willing to bet it is cause of a combination of different factors

• canna2grow
    9 years ago

Gary,

I think you will find that nearly all our hybrid cultivars respond quite well in an aquatic setting. They usually do best when not totally submerged in water but will respond well during the warmer growing season. I would caution on leaving them underwater in their more dormant season.

I am sure the leaf roller problem has not disappeared in your area and virus issues are predicated on the source of any new cultivar. The lack of leaf rollers in your immediate area may be due to a colder winter which eliminates the overwintering larva. I suspect the height of your plant is directly related to the lack of direct sunlight. This is always the major factor in plant height with cannas.

Without a photo the cultivar cannot be identified and may not even with one.
    Congratulation on revitalizing your canna,

Kent

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    the last two winters have been above normal 40 was the low and then only for 3 hours. the leaf rollers are busy attacking the one i grow in a pot in full sun!! lol
    Cannas tend to be evergreen for me if no frost but had constant bug problems and they hated my soil. had costant virus problems so generally whacked them off in the fall Heliconia gives a similar effect and are everblooming except for frost.
    the variety doesn't matter was just curious as to such a turnaround when I seem to be violating all the ruleslolThe aquatic plants are maturing now so will be removed . Have no idea where I'll put it .Know it will remain in a pot but my garden is maturing and all i have is shade, heavy shade , and very shady shade lol
    Guess they can always serve as BU G food ?? lol Thanks for the info gary

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    was going through my pix and found this one of the Canna growing in a pot in the marsh garden. gary

• sherylgallant
    9 years ago

I can see I'm going to have to put some cannas in the pond next year.