Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cannas for moist soil

Posted by ornata London UK (8/9?) (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 6:16

As I understand it, some varieties of Canna can be grown as pond marginals. I have a very damp area of the garden (clay soil) and would love to grow Canna there. Any suggestions for which varieties can tolerate high levels as moisture? I was thinking 'Stuttgart' might do well. Also 'Bengal Tiger' but so far I've had no luck getting virus-free rhizomes of this one.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cannas for moist soil

nobody knows?

I don't think you can overwater *any* canna.

In a bog, you might have to lift some varieties in the autumn to keep them from rotting, but they should bloom beautifully in season.

o

• Posted by ornata London UK (8/9?) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 10:49

That's what I'm thinking. I've planted the Stuttgart and it seems happy - at least, it's finally putting out a new leaf. I also put in a couple of Hedychium forrestii that didn't have a home (apparently they like moist soil too). And yes, I'll definitely be lifting them in autumn!
Thanks for your reply.

o

You may have been thinking of the Longwood Hybrids. They are truly aquatic cannas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Longwood Cannas

o

Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 5:30

Thanks for the link - that's interesting. I wasn't actually aware of the Longwood Hybrids, but was thinking of other Cannas such as 'Bengal Tiger' which can be used as pond plants...
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/00819.html

I think the consensus is that Canna glauca and its hybrids (e.g. the Longwood Hybrids) can be considered truly aquatic plants, but plenty of other Cannas can grow well in shallow water or boggy soil, as long as the temperatures are warm enough.

o

It is my understanding that one should wait until cannas have leafed out before putting them in the pond. That the rhizomes will rot if they aren't leafed out. That any canna is fine with this.

o

Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 9:19

Good point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here