Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommended antifungal for potted cannas?

Posted by alyceusvi Z10/11St.JohnUS (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 8:18

Hi,
I am having great success with potted cannas constant blooms.
We had a weather change and about a week of rainy and hazy
days so now I have rust. Is there an antifungal I can put in the soil around my rhizomes to prevent this in the future?
Thanks, AJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommended antifungal for potted cannas?

I would recommend Daconil, but remove infected leaves.

o
RE: Recommended antifungal for potted cannas?

One of problems is I could not determine where the canna is growing. This is often important because certain pathogens are more prevalent in specific zones. The necrotic symptoms appear to me to be more closely aligned with a bacteria leaf disease (specifically-bacteria leaf spot).
These symptoms could be the result of a virus infection but does not appear to be either CaYMV or CaYSV.
Canna rust (fungal) is most prevalent in the Southern areas of the U.S. but can occur further north but most often in late summer and the fall season. Rust always begins on the lower side of the leaf surface with the onset of red postulates. Rust is typically easy to diagnose by observing the underside of the leaf prior to necrosis.
If possible, it would be better if your plant received more hours of sun and prevent overhead watering late in the day. Wet foliage for extended time will augment the onset of both bacterial and fungal disease.
I cannot personally rule out any of the three possibilities.

Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here