Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canna pretoria

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 9:26

My pretoria on ground on a full sun location grows slowly. My black knight are already 12-14" tall. However, my tallest pretoria is only at 8 inches. The rhizomes were planted at the same time.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can apply to make it grow faster?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canna pretoria

I have a pretoria too and its not growing too fast. I think I have it in too small of a pot. My canna wyoming is growing lighting speed and seems to be enjoying the cool rain that wont go away. It looks like it might flower in the next week or two. My wyoming was planted about a month later than my petoria and its about 2 1/2 - 3 feet tall (not counting pot) and my petoria is about 1 1/2 feet tall (not counting pot).

o

'Pretoria' (aka 'Bengal Tiger' - its more "politically correct" name) is typically not one of the taller cannas; I would expect Wyoming to be taller at this point. Mine (which are perennial here) top out at about 5', and that's only when they're in bloom; the flower scape adds a couple of feet.

o

My Bengals did not even bloom last year. This year they are soooo happy. Take a look ...

Bengal Tiger

I've sprayed several times this year with Miracle Grow and this is how the rest of my cannas look.

Cannas and Cones

Cannas

o

I'm now thinking how the folks who planted the pretorias at United Center last year got the Pretorias really tall.

The label says 6-7 ft tall.

I'll try adding more miracle gro fertilizer.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here