Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cannas from wallmart

Posted by klimkm z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 11:39

I bought a bag of "the president( ? I think)" basic red cannas from walmart. 3 tubers to a bag. I planted all three in the same soil, same area and exposure, but only one came up and is doing well. the other two are d.o.a. I think, they have been in there 6 weeks already and showing nothing.

I usually know better - but Would buying from a reputable canna vendor guarantee me cannas that would at least come up?

Can anyone recommend some that would be reasonable prices? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cannas from wallmart

Wait a little longer. It's late in the season and the tubers aren't gonna just jump up.

I just did a division on a canna here and for the first, time, here in JUNE, I got disappointed, because the transplant just wilted and flopped over. But after about a week of watering, it's finally starting to straighten up and look healthy. That kind of answers the question ... "Can I divide my Canna now, or should I wait till fall when they are dormant?" These are very hardy plants and although they may be prone to stress in summer months that might not favor instant propogation ( and I might add, gratification ) by division, they do turn around eventually.

I have however, had a couple rhizomes not grow and the reason, was clear before I planted them. As an experiment, I planted a few rhizome pieces that did not have buds or a growing leaf or leaf mass. True to what anyone will tell you, it won't grow.

If you have your receipt and are not satisfied, take them back to Walmart, before the ability to do so expires.

o
RE: cannas from wallmart

Try soaking WM & other inexpensive rhizomes before planting;

they may have been in those plastic body bags for a long time.

Horn Canna Farm is a good online source, & Calloway's here has a good selection.

This late in the year, you might do better to post on the Exchanges forum & ask for cannas for postage if you don't have some to share yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here