Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedgwytch

Is China Doll supposed to be streaked?

hedgwytch
17 years ago

I have a China Doll canna that I bought last year. It was a beautiful nice clear pink with lighter pale pink, almost white, streaking on the petals. I thought maybe it was just stressed from being shipped and transplanted, so I snapped off the blooms and let it rest. Well, it bloomed today, and it is gorgeous! But, the streaking is still there. I did a search and the only one I found that has any streaking was someone on this forum, Dighappy, I think. The plant is extremely healthy with beautiful green foliage, so it is not sick or stressed in any way.

Mine actually has a lot more streaking on the petals. Almost the entire center of the petals is the light color with a few darker streaks. The outer edges are darker pink streaked with light. I really wish I could post a pic of it.

Anyway, is this China Doll? The streaking on the petals shows up wonderfully on my camera. I haven't found any other pictures online that show streaking except the one on this forum.

Thanks,

HW

Comments (8)

• annzgw
    17 years ago

Here's one photo I found online...........does it look like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: China Doll

• hedgwytch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

annz,

Thanks again! You seem to be my "lifesaver" for the day! LOL! It looks very much like that. So, I've seen 2 others that are streaked, but many more that aren't. Must be some type of weird variation, or something. When this rhizome multiplies, I'll have to see if it has the streaking, too.

Thanks again,

HW

P.S.-is that a Thai site? How on earth did you find it??? LOL!

• annzgw
    17 years ago

Glad I could help.
    I found the site by using google.com. I didn't even notice where it was located! :)

• canna2grow
    17 years ago

The cultivar ÂChina Doll was a seedling in 1992 and was released in the mid to late 1990Âs. At that time it never showed any of the white streaking we now see in the bloom. The streaking is likely due to "white-break" that is typical of some of the common but generally mild virus infections. The plant typically shows enough resistance that it continues to grow and bloom very well under most conditions. The amount of white-break seems to ebb and flow with the changing weather conditions. You can see a photo at http://www.qualitycannas.net/
    Regards, Kent Kelly

• hedgwytch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kent,

Thanks for responding to my question, although, not with the answer I was looking for. >grinThanks so much for your response,

Sherri

• canna2grow
    17 years ago

Sherri,

First I want to thank you for signing your name. I hate to respond to unsigned posts. Second, I must tell you that even though I have been associated with the canna industry for a very long time, I am not a plant pathologist or plant virologist and my crystal ball has undoubtedly become somewhat cloudy in regard to the virus issues concerning cannas. We do know more today than just a few years ago, but we still are years away from seeing the end to this issue.
    The white-break seen in some cultivars and not in others does not mean the other cultivars are virus free. Like many other flowering plants the white break symptom manifests itself in some varieties and not in others even though both varieties are infected. I wish I had a reason for this occurrence but I do not.
    I am now convinced that "nearly all" cannas in cultivation have been exposed to some form of canna virus. Not all cultivars show the exact same symptoms under differing conditions but when properly tested by electron microscopic examination and using the correct protocols, virus like particles are nearly always found.
    In an "ideal" world, I would recommend destroying any plant with virus. If oneÂs decision is based only on the belief that they are protecting their other plants, they need to consider that at least some of their other plants may just as likely be the unseen carriers of the same or another virus. Concern over the spread of virus is important and proper handling and sanitation of all plants becomes more of an issue, but our ability to detect and prevent infection seems to have failed.
    For those of us growing cannas today, we are by choice or by circumstance, involved in a great canna selections endeavor. Either knowingly or unknowingly we will ultimately determine which cultivars grow and perform well enough to justify our investment. Ultimately we may eliminate many present day cultivars and hopefully see the introduction of other tolerant or resistant cultivars. For the immediate time we can only chose from those cultivars present today and any new cultivar will have to be proven in the landscape arena at our expense.
    The only sure way to eliminate canna virus is by not growing cannas. I now grow those cultivars that perform well for me in my area and never purchase those that have shown unacceptable problems. If anyone chooses to beg, buy, borrow or trade cannas they can be assured they will likely see canna virus. Grow any new purchase away from other cannas and evaluate its potential for a season. Regards, Kent

• hedgwytch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kent,

You know what makes this so sickening is that I received that rhizome from a "reputable" company, that is rated on Garden Watchdog, and had nothing but trouble from the entire order! I had already decided not to order from them again, but it just makes the whole situation with that company that much worse.

From what I've seen on the internet, it doesn't seem to live in the soil. I've now got to decide if I destroy all of these, or keep them (and not trade them!) until I move, then destroy them, so whoever buys the house doesn't spread the virus. I do enjoy them, and I've got some colorful selections.

Thanks so much for the information, Kent. I appreciate you taking the time.

Sherri

• butterflychaser
    17 years ago

Sherri,

As Kent stated, the only way to not have canna virus is to not grow cannas at all. I would not destroy my China Dolls because I do love the streaking in them. The canna doesn't show signs of virus other than the bloom variegation.

Different cannas will handle the virus differently. Some will show no signs at all. And other wimpier ones will look sick. But there's really no way to completely be free of canna virus unless you just stop growing the beauties. Your China Doll seems to be doing well for you, so why get rid of it?

You really can't blame the seller for "selling the virus". In many cases, the virus does not show up at one place like it does in another place. And some of us believe that the virus is not always a bad thing. Did you know that viruses are often introduced into some plants to get the variegation we love?

In warm climates like mine, my plants outgrow the effects of the virus as the temps get hot. I have about 50 varieties and I would never toss them, altho probably all of them are infected with the virus. I have not lost any plants to the virus and will not throw any cannas out. I love them all. And by this time each year, you can't even see unsightly signs of the virus. They seem to grow out of it.

Really, only the wimpiest varieties will really show the effect of the virus. As far as I know, there's no cure and probably every canna in the country is affected by it. Some just aren't showing the symptoms. I don't see it as a huge threat or risk. I just keep adding to my collection. And China Doll is one of my favorites--thanks to Kent.

NancyAnn

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH