Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Canna's

Posted by CJ-Speciosa 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 11:47

So I've just picked up a few of those for containers placed around my pool. (Canna var. Phasion) I think they are fantastic looking. I have a few that have bloomed and am wondering if after they are done blooming, if that particular "stem" is done flowering?

It appears that once a growth blooms, that's it for that growth. Am I correct in assuming that?

Also, if this is the case, do they just continue sending up new shoots that subsequently bloom all summer long? Should I cut down the spent stems after blooming to encourage new shoots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Canna's

C J,

Typically most canna cultivars will produce two to four flower heads per stalk. Each flower cluster is produced on separate short stems arising off the main stalk. It is permissible to carefully remove (cut) the smaller off-set flower stem but do not cut the main stalk at this time. As your plant continues to produce new stalks and foliage the original stalk may be (if you chose) totally removed near the base of the plant once that stem has completed its flowering cycle.

For first timers, it might be best to simply remove each individual bloom after it begins to wither or dry without cutting any stems. It becomes readily apparent how and where to remove the spent flower clusters with a little experience.

For those who wish to harvest seed you do not want to remove the flower clusters because the seed pods form at the base of each flower. Canna var. Phasion aka Tropicanna is sterile and will not produce viable seed.

Kent

o
RE: New to Canna's

Thanks! So will I be able to see the new flower head growing up after the last flower cluster has fully bloomed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here