Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deadhead? I'm new to cannas

Posted by chrisware 5-6 wv (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 12:02

Hi everyone,
I grow almost everything, but this is my first time with cannas and we love them now. This is Tropicanna which we picked up at Home Depot as two little plants in late May. I was just happy with the color, not thinking they would grow this well. Wow!
These guys,get baked in the afternoon sun on our back patio, and they appear to love fertilizer. Ha
Question.... Should I dead head those cute fuzzy seed pods?

Thanks all,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deadhead? I'm new to cannas

Welcome to cannas Chris,

Deadheading can be beneficial assuming you are not interested in harvesting seed from the cultivars that are not sterile. Your Tropicanna does not produce viable seed.

Cannas are heavy feeders that benefit from plenty of room to grow their underground root system. If by chance you decide to invest in more cannas you may want to research canna virus.

Kent

o
RE: Deadhead? I'm new to cannas

Cannas make flowers in clumps along a stalk. When one clump finishes, you should be able to see the next one getting ready below it. I trim them a clump at a time since I usually go too far or break the stalk trying to remove the balls. While waiting for all of the individual flowers to finish, you can easily pick off the browned flower parts without fear of causing damage. Stalks on younger plants don't always have a 2nd clump of flowers on the stalk but I still deadhead them because I just don't like looking at any dead flowers, and definitely don't need to try to make more Cannas via seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here