Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropicanna faded

Posted by ajax1959 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 14:09

I purchased Tropicanna last year and within a month they were huge and the leaves were such a deep rich bronzy color. Now all of the leaves look faded all the time. What could be the problem? they have automatic drips on them so they get watered, but maybe not enough? there are new shoots coming up all over the place so those are hard to keep watered. can't have a drip on every single new shoot that pops up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropicanna faded

You could try some plants in partial shade to see if leaf color is improved.

The only way to know about adequacy of watering is to dig down at least a few inches to see if the soil is moist. It's doubtful that water availability is significantly affecting leaf color, though.

o

• Posted by annz PNW (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 12:12

It's probably time to change out the type of emitter you're using. My favorite is the one below.
It covers a larger area and the flow can be adjusted.

Here is a link that might be useful: spray emitter

o

Thanks for the responses. Will try these suggestions.

o

Could it be that they need fertilizer? Cannas are heavy feeders. I'm sure lots of water wouldn't hurt either.

o

I had this happen with my Tropicanna after I moved and took it with me. I was getting too much direct sun during the heat of the day. The variegated/striated ones just can't take it. I moved it to a more sheltered spot, and the colors of the new leaves were just gorgeous. Of course, it's not growing as fast as it was, but it really looks a lot better.

HW

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here