Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cannas

Posted by klively 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 14:31

I had planted canna's in my flower garden when we moved into our house about 5 years ago and last year I dug them up and divided them because they were over crowded. My question is; Is it possible for the flower to change color because of soil nutrients because when I transplanted the canna's they were all red and now the ones I moved are yellow, has anyone else had this happen to them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cannas

You are not the first, it has been claimed to have happened by others (very rarely).

Technically when we have vegetative reproduction we can expect the offspring to be clones of the parent and cannas unlike hydrangeas will not change color based on soil conditions to any noticeable degree. Discounting some radical sort of mutation (very remote) we can usually find a logical explanation; sometimes maybe not.

Are we talking about digging only a few or dividing several dozen plants to transplant? Did you leave any in the original bed? Can we identify the cultivar (name-variety)? Did your cannas produce seed pods with viable seed that fell to the ground? Do you protect your canna bed from freezing? Do you remember seeing rogue plant/plants in the previous years?

As you can see, there are many potential factors that MIGHT explain your situation. It would be very beneficial if we had some good before and after photos of the cannas. As unlikely as you may think, there is likely a simply explanation; we simply may not find it.

Sorry,

Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here