Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Canna - Do some of mine have the virus?

Posted by rspauldi2 z5b IN (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 16:50

We put in a pool last fall and decided to have a tropical landscape around the pool. Canna fit that bill perfectly and I purchased quite a few of them and from different places. I didn't know anything about the canna virus at the time. Now I know about it, but not that much. I think all of mine are okay with the exception of the Cleopatra. Below are pics. What do you think??

The Tropicanna I purchased at a big box store. They look okay to me. Here is a pic of the flower...

Photobucket

Tropicanna leaf....

Photobucket

Pink Sunburst I purchased at Brian's Botanicals in Louisville. Look okay to me. Here is a pic of the leaf (no flowers yet)...

Photobucket

Australia, also purchased at Brian's. Look okay to me.

Photobucket

Intrigue, also purchased at Brian's. Look okay to me.

Photobucket

Now the Cleopatra. I purchased these rhizomes (8 of them) off ebay. They are just now coming out of the ground and these are the first leaves. I have searched the web to find pics of the foliage for this variety but all I can find are pics of the flowers. I don't know if the light green in the leaf is normal or not. The spotting in the leaf has me worried. What do you think?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Canna - Do some of mine have the virus?

yes the pics of the cleopatra leave does look unhealthy, it could be virus! You should keep it away from the others.

o

Not that you asked, but, your cannas would grow better without that mulch because it keeps the soil cool. Better yet, use black plastic sheeting to warm the soil.

o

Your Cleopatra looks like virus for sure, the others look fine.
I have attached a link of a healthy pic for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canna Cleopatra

o

So it's now 3 years later. What happened? Did the virus spread to the other cannas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here