Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
east_texas_melody

Too Late to Plant Cannas?

East_Texas_Melody
17 years ago

We have obtained a variety of cannas, they are like bulbs but I donÂt think thatÂs what you call them. The bulbs are properly stored IÂm sure of that but what I donÂt know is that if itÂs better to plant them now or should we wait until spring? I would love to go ahead and get them into the ground now. Thanks for any help!

Comments (11)

• annzgw
    17 years ago

I'd plant the rhizomes now and enjoy them the rest of the summer.
    We've had a wet, cool spring and mine are just now showing a couple of leaves so it's definitely not too late.
    Just be sure to water them regularly.

• keithrnjd
    17 years ago

I just planted some here in NC, and I have planted them as late as July and they did fine.

Enjoy!

Sally

• skygardening
    17 years ago

In zone 8 I would think you wouldn't even have to lift them this winter. Check that out to make sure. You have plenty of time to see them bloom.

• East_Texas_Melody
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are in the ground! I couldn't wait after I got the go-a-head! I plan on trying to keep them in the ground this winter. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!!!

• annzgw
    17 years ago

I'm also in a zone 8 and leave mine year round and they always return. I either mulch or leave the dead stalks and leaves on the ground to act as a mulch, then I clean it off early spring before the rhizomes sprout.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    17 years ago

I'm in zone 5. I have planted as late as july and still got blooms. I even had a few overwinter in the ground this year.

• East_Texas_Melody
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hard to believe but when I planted them 3 short days ago they were not as well preserved as I thought and a few were sprouting... long story short I have one that has poked through the ground! I'm so excited! Thanks for all your advice!

• joannla
    17 years ago

Melody,where in east Texas?Im from Shreveport,La.I havent found a Canna I could killyet,here in this area.Im always moving plants around and planting all summer.I usually try to put some of each type of canna in the full sun,and in an afternoon shade area,the ones infull sun are usually a bit shorter than the ones in afternoon shade,I dont water a lot,I hate to baby plants,and I have never lost any.I got 3 Bengal Tigers last spring,now I have al least 50,and have given many away.You definetly want to leave them in the ground around here,I still had some blooms in mid DEC last year.Good Luck!!

• wallis104
    17 years ago

Melody - you and I have similar topics posted.... This is my first time with these bulbs... Isn't it exciting ???

I've planted 9... each one has about 3 or 4 leaves now...

In my original post, I just mentioned a "mishap"... today, my neighbor happened to run over 2 of the plants with a lawn mower.. They're now about 2-3 inches high - wonder if they'll still grow....

Can't wait to see them when they reach full bloom - be sure to post photos if you get a chance....

Enjoy !!! ~~ janice ~~

• joannla
    17 years ago

Hi,Melody!!I love taking the Grandbabies to the zoo in Tyler!!
    I only mulch my "special" Cannas ,the plain old fashioned orange ones I have been gradually moving out of the garden area to hide a chainlink fence at the back of our property,I dont worry about them and from the looks of things they are happy that way.I usually mulch with chopped leaves,just vacume them up with the leaf blower/vac and empty it around the beds,I get leaves from my DDs house as well.

Good luckwith your Cannas,there are so many different types they will keep you wanting more!!

Sponsored
DB Landscape Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Beautiful & Functional Landscape Designs in Bedford